Nowadays diabetes has become so common disease among adults. It is a kind of metabolic disorder, during which the blood sugar or glucose level rises. Let’s have a look at type 1 and type 2 diabetes symptoms in adults and other unusual symptoms of diabetes as well. This article also focuses on the methods of how to test for diabetes and the treatment you can do after its diagnosis.
Unusual Symptoms Of Diabetes & Methods of How To Test For Diabetes:
Diabetes is a condition when glucose is not successfully converted into energy you require. The pancreas releases a hormone called insulin whose task is to help break glucose molecules from food into energy.
However, diabetes condition arises, when this organ does not produce enough insulin, or stops producing any insulin. And there may be a reason that your body becomes insulin resistant. And glucose in the form of energy may not reach to the cells of your body.
There are two types of diabetes type 1 and type 2.
Type 1 Diabetes Symptoms:
Type 1 diabetes is the one which may get diagnosed during the young age of adults and in children. This type of diabetes is also known as Juvenile diabetes. During this kind of diabetes, the cells of the pancreas, which usually produce insulin get attacked by the immune system of the body.
The cells, which produce insulin are called beta cells and type 1 diabetes occurs when your body’s immune system starts killing these precious cells. Thus, your body stops producing insulin or produce an insufficient amount of insulin.
Therefore, type 1 diabetes symptoms show that it is also known as autoimmune sort of condition. Doctors treat this kind of diabetes with the help of insulin in order to help the patient remain active. The reason behind type 1 diabetes can be genetic or due to viruses.
Type 1 Symptoms:
Moreover, type 1 diabetes symptoms start appearing during the childhood span of an adult. There are number of type 1 diabetes symptoms which you can clearly notice in a patient. Following are the type 1 diabetes symptoms or conditions that may suddenly, appears in these patients:
- The patient will face an increased amount of thirst other than in normal days.
- They will feel an urge to urinate frequently.
- Children will show a bed-wetting change, which never occurs during normal days.
- They may face a condition of extreme hunger as well.
- The weight loss occurs in children or young adult abnormally.
- They may face fatigue and weakness
- Blurry vision is another clear type 1 diabetes symptom for children.
- Moreover, you can notice a mood change in these children along with irritability factors.
As a result of type 1 diabetes symptoms, doctors suggest to balance the blood sugar level through insulin. Moreover, they suggest a proper diet plan and a change in lifestyle in order to prevent this kind of diabetes. Researches show that there is no such effective cure for type 1 diabetes and a proper medication, diet and altering the patient lifestyle can help prevent it.
However, it is a rare kind of diabetes and people under the age of 20 can develop it. But, they may start developing this condition at any age as well.
Type 2 Diabetes Symptoms:
Type 2 diabetes is considered as one of the common metabolic disorder among middle aged people and even in children as well. During this type of diabetes, the cells of body find it hard to convert the blood sugar or glucose into energy properly.
In other words, the body cells develop a strong resistance to insulin and it usually occurs with higher blood sugar. However, with diabetes type 2, the cells becoming insulin resistant, but it is treatable.
There are a number of unusual symptoms of diabetes type 2 in adults. Few of them are listed below:
- Frequent urges to urinate
- Moreover, in an attempt to remove the extra portion of sugar from your blood, you urinate and it results in an increase in thirst due to dehydration.
- One of the major unusual symptoms of diabetes type 2 in adults is that they feel hungry all the time. The reason behind the feeling of being hungry all the time is that the body cells are unable to receive enough glucose.
- Due to insufficient sugar reaching to your body cells through blood stream, you feel tired all the time.
- Another type 2 diabetes symptoms is damage of blood vessels present in the eyes due to excess of blood sugar. Therefore, diabetes patients get a blurry vision and if goes untreated, there can be a possibility of a permanent vision loss as well.
- Furthermore, an increase in the level of sugar in the blood also slows down the healing of cuts and wounds. Thus, type 2 diabetes symptoms damages the nerves and blood vessels.
- Minimum blood circulation in the body, leading to numbness in the hands and feet is one of the prominent and unusual symptoms of diabetes type 2 in adults. Thus, out of many unusual symptoms of diabetes, tingling and pain in certain body parts may lead to severe complications. And this condition is called neuropathy.
- Dark skin patches appear on the skin as well.
- Diabetes type 2 patients may also face a yeast infection and itching in the moist areas of body parts like armpits, mouth and genitals.
These unusual symptoms of diabetes are warning signs which must not be neglected at any cost. Otherwise, the condition of the patient may get worse, leading to a number of other complications in the functionality of body organs.
Another form of diabetes is named as Gestational diabetes. This kind of diabetes may get develop in some females during pregnancy span. Although, there are chances that this diabetes may ends after the birth of a child. But, sometimes gestational diabetes may take the form of type 2 diabetes as well.
Source: All About Diabetes and Related
With the increased blood sugar in the bloodstream, there are chances that the functionality of other organs also gets affected as well. These organs include the heart, blood vessels, kidneys, eyes and nerves.
Some of these complications may prove fatal, if any type of diabetes goes untreated. Below mentioned complications are proof that diabetes should be treated earlier before it may get worse.
Fatal Diseases Due to Increase in Blood Sugar:
- Higher blood sugar in the bloodstream increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases. These include heart stroke, heart attack, chest pain, increase in blood pressure and narrowing of the coronary arteries.
- As mentioned earlier, an increase in the blood sugar, damages the tiny vessels which supplies food in the form of energy to the nerves. In return, you feel numbness in your hands, legs and feet due to poor and uneven circulation of blood.
- Due to nerve damage, the lining of the gastrointestinal tract also gets impaired. And this may result in nausea, diarrhea or constipation and vomiting etc.
- Kidney damage is another major complication that comes with an untreated diabetes. Kidney function of filtering waste material from the blood also get affected which may lead to a severe condition like kidney failures and a lot worse.
There are many risk factors which increase the chances of type 1 diabetes. Some of them are listed below:
- Family history Factor: There may be anyone with a type 1 or type 2 disease present in your family like parents or siblings. If yes, then there is a risk that you may develop this condition as well.
- Genetic Factors: If the disease is in your genes, then there is an increased chance that you may develop it at some stage of your life.
- Geographical factors: You can also develop type 1 diabetes, if you travel away from the equator to some other state.
- Age Factor: Your age can be another risk factor in developing a type 2 diabetes. However, type 1 diabetes can appear at any age like in children between the age of 4 to 7 years and in age groups of 10 to 14 years old.
How to Test for Diabetes?
There are certain tests for diabetes, which are used to measure the level or percentage of blood sugar. Let’s have a look that how to test for diabetes.
Methods for how to test for diabetes are mentioned below:
Glycated Hemoglobin (A1C) Test:
This blood test does not require fasting. Moreover, you will get to know the percentage of your blood sugar for the past two to three months as well. It measures the level of hemoglobin attached with the sugar.
If your AIC level is 6.5% then you have a diabetes. On the other hand, 5.7-6.4% of AIC or glycated hemoglobin shows that you have prediabetes. Whereas, below 5.7 is considered normal.
If AIC test is unavailable or the results shows consistence despite the symptoms you have been facing then there are other tests, which you can try as well.
Random Blood Sugar Test:
In this test, your blood sugar is checked randomly regardless of any food intake. During a random blood sugar test, 200 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), 11.1 millimoles per liter (mmol/L) or higher shows that you have diabetes.
Fasting Blood Sugar Test:
Then comes, a blood sugar test, where blood samples of the patients are taken after fasting overnight. Here are the test results which show that a person is diabetic or not.
- Blood sugar levels 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) is normal.
- 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) shows that you are prediabetes.
- On the other hand, you have diabetes if the blood sugar level is 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher.
Oral Glucose Tolerance Test:
After an overnight fasting, fasting blood sugar is checked. Then, the patient is given with a sugary liquid and blood sugar is again tested periodically after next two hours. Here is a proportion mentioned which shows that whether you have diabetes or not.
- You are normal with blood sugar level 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) or less.
- After two hours, if the patient have blood sugar level 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L), then her/she is diabetic.
- On the other hand, if results show that a person has a blood sugar in a range of 140 and 199 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L and 11.0 mmol/L), then it is a prediabetes stage.
In case you have developed any of the above mention unusual symptoms of diabetes, then you should go to the doctor for a complete checkup. However, you can reduce these risk factors and symptoms through changing your lifestyle.
By regular physical activity like exercise, healthy eating and keeping a check on your weight, you can get rid of diabetes at its early stage. A regular monitoring of all these factors and treating them in a best possible way can control your blood sugar.