Eid al Adha is celebrated by Muslims all around the world and this is marked as an auspicious event on the Islamic Calendar. Eid al Adha meaning is the Festival of Sacrifice and considered as a Greater Eid event which is followed by Hajj and Eid al adha observances. This Muslim festivals celebration of Eid is based on sacrifice of animals unlike Eid al fitr.
Eid al-Adha 2020
Eid al-Adha 2020 in Pakistan will begin in the evening of Thursday , 30 July and ends in the evening of Friday, 31 July. Dates may vary.
Eid al Adha Meaning
Eid al Adha meaning is based on the willingness of Prophet Abraham who were ready to sacrifice his son in the name of Allah. So this Festival of Sacrifice is a gesture to show a devotion to Almighty just like Prophet Abraham to sacrifice his son.
Almighty Allah accepted the sacrifice which Prophet Abraham presented through his son Ismail and sent a sheep to get slaughtered by him instead.
Festival of Sacrifice and Hajj Pilgrimage
These are some of the rituals being performed during the Hajj out of series of Holy rituals.
- The festival of sacrifice occurs at the end of Hajj, which is a Pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia. Hajj is the fifth pillar of Islam and it is mandatory for a Muslim to complete one Hajj during the life span, if competent enough.
- Rough estimate revealed that around 3 million Muslims from all around the world travel to the Holy place Mecca to perform Hajj pilgrimage.
- Eid Al Adha begins on the 10th of Dhul Hijjah in accordance with Islamic Calendar. Muslims all around the world celebrate this Eid in the remembrance of a sacrifice performed by Holy Prophet Ibrahim.
- From 10th of Dhul Hijjah, the festival of Eid al Adha lasts for three days. Pilgrims visit the Arafat Mount and then return from it after sunrise on the day listed.
- Jamarat is part of the Hajj Pilgrimage to the sacred place of Mecca and it is also called Stoning of the Devil. During Jamarat pebbles are thrown at three walls. A ceremony performed for remembering the deed of Prophet Abraham who rejects Satan by throwing pebbles at him.
However, struggle to find an appropriate animal in the cattle markets is real. People strive for many days before Eid-e-Qurban to find the right and perfect animal according to their range. Whether, they are buying cow, goat, camel or sheep, they make sure to get a perfect animal with a good bargain.
On the other hand, vendors invest their money and time all the year on animals so that they sell them at a profit. Almost all of them have their particular rates in cattle markets, which have come all the way from remote areas and villages mostly.
Just like on Eid Ul Fitr, men, women and children shop for new attires specifically on the biggest Eid al Adha.
Eid al Adha Observances are mentioned below
- Eid Al Adha observances include performing morning prayer after sunrise, but before Zuhr prayer.
- Muslims all around the world following the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
- Muslim men and women perform ablution and offer prayers.
- They perform special cleanliness steps and wear clean and new clothes.
- Eid prayers consisting of two Rakats are performed after Fajr prayers on an open gathering to show unity.
- In Eid Prayers, seven Takbeers are performed in the First Rakat while in the second Rakat five Takbeers are offered.
The words of Takbeer
Allāhu akbar, Allāhu akbar
lā ilāha illā-Allāh
Allāhu akbar, Allāhu akbar
Eid Prayers Followed By Qurbani Ritual and Feasting:
Then comes the Khutba, Sermon an address followed by the prayers. This sermon is compulsory to listen to men and it last 15 to 20 minutes.
After offering eid al adha prayers, Muslims slaughter animal or perform Qurbani rituals, which include sacrificing the goat, cow, camel or buffalo.
After this Eid al Adha observance meat of the sacrificed animals is divided into three parts. One part is for the family, second part is for the neighbors and relatives while the third part is for the poor and needy people who cannot afford to perform this Qurbani ritual.
After Qurbani, there is a great celebration ahead where Muslims dress up in tidy clothes and exchange greetings with their Muslim brothers and sisters. Children receive gifts and money as “Eidi” which is followed by giant social gatherings.
Families visit their relatives and enjoy lunch and dinners. You will see grand barbeque BBQ parties and festive meals comprises of meat and beef dishes on this Eid al Adha.
Charity has also been given to the poor to remember them on this prestigious occasion and make them part of your happiness.
There are Four public holidays announced according to the lunar calendar. Eid al adha festival will begin on August 11, 2019 and ends on August 13, 2019.
May the Almighty accept the pilgrimage of Hajj that has been offered by Muslims this year and grant them with the reward. Celebrate Eid al Adha with your family and friends and remember the poor in your happiness too.